Sunday, December 02, 2007

Geneaology of Pop/Rock Music


Last week we took the kids and my dad (who was freezing because he lives in Florida) to the ICA in Boston. The ICA is the Institute of Contemporary Art, which has had an awesome makeover in a stunning building on Boston's waterfront. The actual gallery itself was a bit smaller than I had imagined, but was an interesting exhibit of the best in contemporary design.

The thing I thought was "coolest" was Reebee Garofalo's Genealogy of Pop/Rock Music chart. It covers "the time period 1955 to 1978, more than 700 artists and 30 styles of music are mapped in currents flowing from left-to-right." The piece is included in "As Below, So Above, 2007", on the wall as you enter the museum.

We bought the poster for my 14 year old son, who never complains when I drag him to museums.

No comments: