Thursday, May 15, 2008

Mixed Media Collage - Serendipitous or Planned?



Recently I had a conversation with an artist who showed me sketches that resulted in an exhaustively planned, beautiful, composition. As I thought of my own techniques, which are never completely (or even remotely) planned from the beginning, I wondered if I should rethink my more "intuitive" way of doing things. -- Then I finished this collage today and remembered what I love so much about serendipity!

The collage has a background layer of vintage papers from magazines and playbooks. Over that is a collage of fine art paper treated with inkaid, with a digital collage (from flowering trees in my yard) printed on it. Because the fine art paper was torn and layered, some is thicker in places (more opaque) and lets the background wording show through, or not show through, accordingly.


The wording that actually showed through cracked me up. Now, I am a happily married mother of two, but when I saw the words "any man" and "tonight" and "drought tips" and "don't trust" it was too funny!

2 comments:

Seth said...

I vote you continue with your intuitive approach. This piece is really wonderful. What ever you are doing...it is working! Thanks, too, for your thoughtful comments on my blog. Seth

Unknown said...

thanks seth! it's always a pleasure to visit your blog & to hear from you.